screen play by Horace P Sternwall and manfred skyline.
chapters with asterisks* edited by Prof. Dan Leo. others by rhoda penmarq
1. “slade busts out” - introduce broadway actress (and favored cripian resident) HYACINTH WILDE and her MAID, in her suite. they talk about STAN SLADE, international jewel thief (and former paramour of hyacinth) who has just broken out of prison. cut to hotel lobby, introduce house detective NOLAN and hotel residents and lobby sitters "FARMER BROWN"and MISS CHARLTON aka AUNT CAROLINE
*2. "class" - introduce MORTIMER the elevator operator, bandleader TONY WINSTON. mortimer speaks glowingly of slade.
3. "the hitchhiker” - introduce middle class couple CAROL and "HENRY" (real name MICHAEL) CHANDLER. first appearance of SLADE. carol and henry are heading into new york for party. carol is annoyed at henry's cautious driving in fog. they pick up the hitchhiking slade, who takes over as driver. they drop him off in vicinity of st crispian.
*4. “hyacinth” - slade makes his way to hyacinth's apartment. first mention of trunk. first appearance of COSETTE (not named)
5. “angie” - introduce wealthy young man about town CONRAD COLLINSON, and ANGIE, young woman of mysterious origin he is in love with. also the two BILLS (automat habitues). conrad is waiting for angie in automat. she appears with two detectives - she accuses conrad of white slavery. conrad's package - which he thinks is brooch for his aunt miss charlton - is found to contain drugs. conrad is arrested, booked and released. first mention of FRISCO JOHNNY RAMIREZ
9. "softboiled tangerine" - introduce MRS COLLINSON (conrad's mother). conrad at breakfast, then leaves for court appearance re his arrest the previous night. introduce WILLIAMS the butler, DAVIS the chauffeur
*10. “olaf” - introduce OLAF the doorman. carol appears at back door of hotel, wanting to help slade. olaf is polite but noncommittal. she goes to Prince Hal Room. conrad appears.
11. "galapagos tangerine" - conrad and chauffeur davis on way to court. - looking for info on angie, they stop and ask MIKE (street person) about address on 193rd st, also galapagos consulate. they arrive at courthouse, meet lawyers PERKINS and WILL WILEY
15 - "the detectives" - scene in al's bar, a hangout for private detectives - introduce owner AL, detectives FLANAGAN, FORTESCUE, VIC VANCE and LOU GRACCHUS. vance and gracchus intercept call from will wiley to fortescue, persuade wiley to hire them, rather than fortescue,to find/get info on the mysterious angie.